Wednesday, September 21, 2011

University Adventures (Week 1)

Although I do have some experiences in post-secondary institutions, I must admit: University is nothing like College. College felt more like a rather long extension of High School. University feels more like... learning in "real adult life" (if that makes sense). Even though, I have had many "first days" of school, I can safely admit how nervous/excited I was for the first day of University. I had never seen my campus before (which may have been a major cause of the butterflies in my stomach), and had no friends or acquaintances who were accompanying me on this "journey" to University life. Also, I had missed out on Orientation Week- otherwise known as Frosh Week!

So, with the help of my handy dandy map, which was mailed during registration, I was on my way to school for my first day. I gave myself an adequate amount of time for the drive to and discovery of my new "home" for the next 4 years. I don't live on residence but I can bet I'll be spending a heck of a lot of time on and around campus. Luckily my map was extremely useful. I probably looked like a tourist with my face buried into it, wondering around, but nonetheless, it was definitely a necessity.

The first thing I did was look for the buildings of my first two classes. Easy enough: they were both next to each other, give or take a restaurant/tiny shop in between. Next step: Explore. I found a building which looked like a mall (Score!), walked in, and realized how deserted it was. All it had was a William's Cafe, some odd looking dollar store, and another small arts/crafts/souvenir shop. What a waste of space, and excitement. Moving along, I noticed the library across the street. Extremely good to know the location of this building. I went up, down, up again, and up even more, and finally got myself a new library card. Then off to class I went. 

How weird are University desks? A tiny chair, with a semi-attached mini table top type thing. (Mind you the table barely fits a laptop). Also, they are all attached so closely, just like theatre seats, that you have to stick your butt in people's faces to get through the rows. Each class I went to after that had even weirder desks. Some were actually almost like mini couches though, so that was a plus. I have no clue why, but that was the most mesmerizing moment of my first Univeristy experience!

Nothing else really stands out about the first week, but I did make friends with the owners of a local shawarma shop (naturally haha). I also found a couple lounges, and a very prehistoric computer lab (oh the irony) on campus. I have yet to find a general cafeteria for our school, and I have located the gym, but have not yet entered it! The courses themselves are awesome. Absolutely love them. However, holy crap it's a lot of work. Lots and lots and lots of reading, constant reading, I should say. Lots of learning, lots of essays, lots of fun I hope! Oh and oddly enough, I found the only two people in all of my school that I actually knew from High School and College, on the last day of class of the first week, during the same 10 minutes. Weird! Anywho, wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. o yeah ! i was amazed by the deskes in my first week, and wrote something like this, too ...but it wasn't as good
    good luck ;)
    9B

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i can relate in soooo many ways! i hope you're enjoying it now.. it gets some getting use to :)

    ReplyDelete