For about a year, I have debated on whether or not I should start a blog. Also, I debated for about a year about the topic of said blog. Who needs a topic when you can discuss EVERYTHING!
Friday, September 23, 2011
Book you have to read! "Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes" - Dan Everett
Wow, I'm reading this for two of my classes, and all I can say is wow. It honestly opens up your mind so much!
A linguist named Dan Everett works as a missionary, and as an assignment is sent into the Amazonian jungle in Northern Brazil. The reason for such a trip is to convince the tribal people of this region to become Christians. Well is he up for a treat. This book is factually based on his trip to Brazil, where he is trying to teach the lessons of God and Jesus to a tribe called the Pirahã (pronounced pee-da-HAN). They are an indigenous people who do not accept anything from the outside world (whether it be culture, language, religion, etc.). They believe any outside culture to be inferior to their own. They live in a world without hell or heaven, and live everyday as it comes with a smile on their face. They don't plan, they don't have memories, or stories from the past. They don't have art, drawing, or numbers. They don't even say "Hello, how are you?" There is no such thing as goodnight, or bye, rather: "I am going," or "Don't sleep there are snakes," since each day is a battle against the wildlife of the jungle.
No one before could penetrate deep into this heritage since their language is so unique and unlike any others found throughout the world. Instead of following a "universal grammar" they speak on their own terms. They do not combine two separate ideas into one sentence. They don't have explanatory words such as a "red" car. They don't even count or have a series of numbers like everywhere else. Instead, they would say "a higher amount" of items, rather that "one" or "two" more. Their entire language is based on less than 10 letters and vowels, and have a gazillion accents and tones which differentiate their words.
I am absolutely fascinated by this story, and to be honest I haven't even finished the first chapter yet, but my exciting is building and I had to recommend EVERYONE to read it!
No comments:
Post a Comment