I have always wanted to try out every new and old restaurant in my hometown, but never found the time, or resources ($) to do so. Now since I have to travel to Brantford on a daily basis for school, I can semi try out this concept since I do have to eat between classes! Each time I walk into a new restaurant (new to me since I'm not from around here), I will write a review on an item I order, and whether or not I recommend the place.
September: PITA PLUS
Order: Dolma & Chicken Shawarma
The first restaurant I went to is called "Pita Plus": 1) Because it is Arabic food (yumm... shawarmas) and 2) It's conveniently located steps from school.This review should be placed under September, but I didn't think about doing this until recently!
The owner behind the counter (along with his wife) were super nice and friendly. I actually went in twice in two days, the first time just to see what they had (and have a small sample), and the second time to actually get a Sandwich.
So, the first time I went in, I noticed they had a 3-piece Dolma deal (that sounds awesome) for only $1! I figured I may as well try it out, to see what level this restaurant is on in regards to authenticity. So I got my 3 Dolmas and was on my way. First, let me explain Dolma, otherwise known as Yabre, or Grape-Leaf Rolls. It is basically a tiny grape-leaf roll (similar to a cabbage roll), where it is cooked in lemon juices and oil. Inside it is stuffed with rice, tomatoes, parsely, and spices. I can see why they offer them for $1 considering how much time it usually takes to prepare and cook these tasty rolls. They were mediocre, and I can imagine were pre-bought in cans or jars perhaps? Nothing special, but definitely a good, cheap, healthy snack for a buck.
I actually remember a very interesting story based on Dolmas from the past. A friend of mine asked me to bring her some to her house. So I packed a ziploc bag full of them and came over. Meanwhile, my other friend (being very NEW to trying different cultural foods) seen the bag and wondered what on earth they were; she mentioned later on that initially she thought I had brought over a bag of frogs! Come on now... FROGS!?
Although the Dolma were kind of plain, I still decided to give their actual food a shot. The next day I went in and ordered a Chicken Shawarma; I don't think anyone needs any explanation. It's basically a pita wrap filled with chicken, sauces, and veggies. It's hard not to like it! So I was informed of a deal they have, where you can order a Shawarma and get a pop for $5 in total. Not bad at all!
The shawarma was made to order with my fave toppings, and was made pretty quickly. They stuffed the sandwich with a good amount of chicken, but I felt as though it was basically a salad wrap. Perhaps too much lettuce was thrown in there? It was a decent sandwich, especially for $5. The sauce had a very little hint of garlic, but still pretty simple. The shawarma was nothing special, kind of plain, but not bad compared to others I have tried in the past. It wasn't greasy and the pieces of chicken didn't have chunks of fat like some other places. So all in all, it was okay. I definitely will go back, but not all that often, unless I try something new each time.
Pita Plus: Recommended
No comments:
Post a Comment